12 March 2025
12 March 2025
16 February 2025
15 February 2025
15 February 2025
10 February 2025
8 February 2025
8 February 2025
22 January 2025
25 January 2025
25 January 2025
6 January 2025
7 December 2024
9 December 2024
10 December 2024
10 December 2024
6 December 2024
14 November 2024
16 November 2024
19 November 2024
6 November 2024
23 October 2024
21 October 2024
24 September 2024
8 October 2024
5 October 2024
25 September 2024
7 September 2024
3 August 2024
Wednesday 2 November 2022 | Written by Caleb Fotheringham | Published in Court, Crime
The Ministry of Justice building. Photo: GRAY CLAPHAM/20050411
Discharge without conviction
A man has entered a guilty plea to careless driving and walked away without a conviction.
He has been told to pay over $1000 in reparations.
Tuiate Turuariki, 21, appeared in the Criminal Court at Avarua on Thursday last week.
The court heard Turuariki crashed into the back of a car near the Vaima facotry. Police said he was not paying attention to the road.
The crash resulted in $1221 of damage to the car.
Police asked for Turuariki to be discharged without conviction.
“The reparation is penalty enough for the defendant and there was no injured parties,” the police said.
Justice of the Peace Tangi Taoro initially denied police’s suggestion and said, “I think it (discharge without conviction) might send the wrong information or ideas out”.
However, JP Taoro changed her mind and discharged Turuariki without conviction ordering him to pay $50 for court costs on top of the reparation bill.