Gelling cleared for Super League return following arrest

Tuesday March 10, 2020 Written by Published in League

Cook Islander Anthony Gelling is set to return to the Super League competition after an investigation by his club on his off-field conduct.


Gelling was suspended by the Warrington Wolves last month pending a club investigation after being arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent. He missed four matches.

The Wolves yesterday confirmed that the lanky centre will be back available for selection this week, ahead of round seven competition.

The 29-year-old was the subject of a club investigation into his “conduct away from the club” and was not available for selection until the investigation is complete.

Gelling was questioned by detectives and released on conditional bail and enquiries into the assault remain ongoing.

In a statement released yesterday, the Wolves said: “The incident in question is now solely a police matter and the club will await updates on the investigation before considering any change in approach.

“The club and player will make no further comment at this time.”

Charles Carlson, the chairman of the Cook Islands Rugby League Association, earlier said he was shocked to hear about Gelling’s arrest and suspension by his Super League club.

“Gello is loved character in rugby league in England. We don’t know what happened so let just leave it there and hope for a good outcome,” Carlson earlier said.

“He is a key player to our squad as we prepare for an international test match this year as part of our preparation for the World Cup 2021.”
Gelling, who played a key part in the Cook Islands’ World Cup Nines and World Cup qualifiers last year, joined Warrington from local rivals Widnes at the start of this season.

The New Zealand-born players has spent most of his professional career in England.

Gelling played 115 games for Wigan from 2012 to 2017, winning a Super League title in 2016.

He achieved a boyhood dream by returning to Auckland to play seven NRL matches for the Warriors in 2018.

He joined Widnes after his contract ended at the Warriors before heading to Warrington.

Leave a comment