1. Aunty is a slow driver, who wears a helmet by the way, but nearly got bowled over by a motorist who did not see her indicate to turn right into her driveway. The driver of the other vehicle wasn’t drunk but wasn’t observant...
2. Johnny doesn’t drink but does excessive speed while carrying a young passenger – who was holding on for dear life.
3. Joe is a heavy drinker and he loves his bike, he cruises through Avarua with no care in the world for anyone, and nearly falls off the bike while trying to park it – to date he ain’t had an accident.
4. Cindy is drunk but has a sober driver to drive her home – sad thing is the sober driver is speeding all the way home even when Cindy asked the driver to slow down.
5. A group enjoys a get-together drink-up after work, at work – and always drives home drunk.
6. Fred is doing 50kmh on the road and wears a helmet – but Dan speeds past doing 70kmh, not wearing a helmet.
All in all when you look carefully at all the different scenarios it boils down to one thing – we must all wear a safety helmet. All road users, whether driving slow or fast, will be injured by the careless driving of another road user.
We witnessed this sometime ago when a lady got hit by a drunk and had to be flown to Auckland for medical attention.
You don’t need to be a scientist to introduce or make it law and compulsory for everyone to wear a safety helmet. Save your head – don’t bury your dead.