The Tangi Reka Arts and Cultural Trust recently announced that nominations for the awards are open till 5pm on July 4 giving the public around six weeks to get their nominations in.
The awards take place on October 11 in Auckland, and will recognise and celebrate icons of Cook Islands music both past and present.
Project Leader Noo Pare expects a huge number of nominations will be made. “This is a first” says Mr Pare “ Never before have we honoured those people who have contributed to the growth and development of Cook Islands music, and over the last 50 years we have seen some great performers, composers, and producers, come and go – it is time to recognise them and show them the respect that they deserve”.
He also says that the awards are special because the focus is not on competition. “We want people to understand that these are recognition awards” says Mr Pare “It isn’t about choosing who is best, it is about honouring anyone who has shared their talent and made an impact on Cook Islands music as a whole”. - Release
Cook Islanders will be celebrated over 16 categories that night:
- Cook Islands Male Artist Award
- Cook Islands Female Artist Award
- Cook Islands Musician Award
- Cook Islands String Band Award
- Cook Islands Electric Band Award
- Cook Islands Contemporary Band Award
- Cook Islands Singing Group Award
- Cook Islands Composers Award
- Cook Islands Record Producers Award
- Cook Islands Cultural Groups Award
- Cook Islands Music – Roa Te Tuatau Award
- Advocates of Cook Islands Music Award
- Greatest Songs
- Hall Of Fame
- Media Award
- Cook Islanders in Mainstream