One of the biggest and greatest gifts that God has given mankind from the very first man he created at the very beginning of time is the gift of freedom of choice.
“And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die” (Genesis 2: 15 – 17).
Excepting but only one kind or variety of tree, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, man was given the freedom to freely eat of all else.
Despite God’s stark warning, man blatantly disobeyed and partook of the forbidden fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thus caused his downfall headlong from the grace of God. As the prophet Ezekiel says, “The soul that sinneth, it shall die” (Ezekiel 18:20).
All whatever decisions that we make in life fall in that same category, -- a yes or no answer, personal freedom of choice – a right or wrong, good or evil, blessing or curse, light or darkness, sweet or bitter, life or death, God or satan, Jesus or belial.
Our only guide to make the best of all choices and decisions is in no otherway and no one else but our reigning Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ who is altogether Light and Life unto all mankind.
That brings us at this juncture to the much discussed and debated issue of drugs.
Two very important scriptures comes to mind:
1. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). Anything that robs of our power to stay on top of things; robs us of our integral and intimate love for family, marriage, community and humanity in general; robs us of having a sober mind, considerate mindset and prolonging sound mindedness to the very end of our life is very definitely of the devil, demonic and satanic. Be warned, stay off it, flee while you have the chance to – seek help and be saved in Jesus.
2. “For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints” (1 Corinthians 14:33). Any kind of addiction to the mind, body and soul – be it of alcohol, drugs, music, partying, sports, cultural, religious, political, sexual, financial, fanasticism to the extreme can only lead one over the deep end and often times beyond the danger zones.
The Bible teaches that addictive drugs come under a kind of a Strongman spirit namedFamiliar Spirit, a spirit of bondage which satan can use the passive mind state brought about by the hallucinogenic drugs such as L.S.D, cocaine, crack, alcohol, crystal meth and prescription drugs like Valium and Librium to activate everything from depression to oppression and to possession of the soul of the user who at that point totally depend on such substances that further and dangerously drive an uncontrolled drugged up mind to their own demise.
We cannot allow our minds to be fizzed and fuzzed up. Satan will take advantage of our condition while we are in that state to try to forcibly takeover if we are not on guard. Remember, anyone who strays either consciously or unconsciously into satan’s area of operations by participating in the extreme measures in all areas mentioned above can expect to be harassed in one way or another by the evil powers of satan. The devil is always and forever spreading his net of lies and deception to catch fishes that are no longer able to swim away but stupidly fall into his trappings.
Jesus warns, “For the thief (satan) cometh not but to steal, to kill and to destroy…” (John 10: 10a). That is why it is named Familiar Spirit, as that’s where the demonic alluring is.
A deceiving catch phrase like ‘everyone else is doing it’ leads to the conclusion that it must be and it’s got to be good, let’s take it.
Once taken, it no more becomes a drug addiction but a demonic possession out to kill and destroy. That goes to all manner of addictions in whatever form it may take and involves every aspect of our life. It definitely is the same as addiction to the spirit of gluttony as in overeating; sexual addiction as in immoral sexual abuse or perversion; where money becomes the god of mammon which the Word of God specifies, not money but ‘the love of money is the root of all evil’ (1 Timothy 6: 10).
The one answer and solution to all forms of addiction in life is none other but the Bible, the Word of God – Jesus Christ, who alone is the Way, the Truth and the Light.
Should it cause us any surprise and wonder why almost all governments in all super-power nations of the world one by one are trying to throw the Bible, the Word of God and Jesus Christ out of their Parliamentary Constitutions, Education systems, Judiciaries, businesses, marriages, families and individual lives.
The best way to flee, stay free and clear of all demonic influence is to get saved and stay saved in the one source for light and life Jesus Christ.
Obey God’s Word by heeding to the following:
1. “Be not drunk with wine wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18). But how do we get filled with the Spirit? How did the early church believers get their Spirit to start the Church of Jesus Christ?
2. Go to the Book of Acts at chapter 2: 38, “Repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”. No early church believers received their Holy Ghost by no other forms of baptism other than in Jesus’ name.
3. No Holy Ghost, no Power to resist the devil to cause him to flee.
4. Receiving this Holy Ghost power is the one and only function regenerating power of the Church but unto whom? Acts 2: 39 clearly states, “For the promise is unto you (the 120 believers from the Upper Room in Jerusalem on Pentecost Sunday), and to your children (believers of generations born after them), and to all that are afar off (all world-wide believers aligned to that same Apostle’s doctrine and first Pentecostal experience), and as many as the Lord thy God shall call (called and drawn not by flesh and blood but by God himself). “No man can come to me, except the Father draw him: I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:44).
To stay safe from all demonic addictions, oppressions and possessions, be real, obey all of the above, thou and thy household shall be saved.
Have a safe and blessed Jesus weekend.
Te Atua te Aroa!
Bishop Tutai Pere